Application of Benzoyl Peroxide
HOW TO APPLY BENZOYL PEROXIDE
Benzoyl peroxide is an over the counter (OTC) acne treatment which comes in forms of Gel, Lotions and Creams. It is only locally applied and it kills the acne-causing bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes or P. acnes for short on the skin surface. Benzoyl peroxide is one of the best treatments for acne and comes in several concentrations for you to choose.
OTC means it is a treatment sold directly to a consumer without a prescription from healthcare professionals.
AFTER CONSIDERING TO USE BENZOYL PEROXIDE,
- Note that applying MORE benzoyl peroxide than you need won’t make the acne go any faster.
- Visible results may be seen after about 3 to 5 weeks in some people and up to 8 weeks for others so be PATIENT.
- For BEGINNERS, wash face, dry and apply Benzoyl peroxide just on affected areas morning and evening. This is to monitor benzoyl peroxide reaction to skin and side effects.
- Avoid sensitive areas especially the Eyes, Mouth and Nostrils.
- Benzoyl peroxide is known to cause increase in sun sensitivity and skin dryness which could be severe in some skin types. So wash benzoyl peroxide off face after like 45 minutes and apply FACE MOISTURIZER. In case of sun sensitivity, avoid so much sun contact and protect skin with DAILY SUNSCREEN.
- Skin eventually becomes use to benzoyl peroxide after a period of time.
- Benzoyl peroxide may now be applied on entire face because exact location of bacteria is not known and left for longer periods of time.
- Do not stop Benzoyl peroxide immediately acne is gone. It is preferable to reduce the quantity for a while to monitor acne before finally stopping treatment.
- Avoid using Benzoyl peroxide with salicylic acid.(Salicylic acid is best for blackheads and whiteheads as it helps unclog pores. Using the two treatments at the same periods can lead to severe skin dryness and scars)
- Visit the Doctor in case of severe side effects or allergies.